Tuesday, January 26, 2010

City Lights

My wife and I were driving all over Tucson last night looking for a movie that she had to watch, and we ended up quite ways up into the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains. We could see the lights of the city below, and Marquette looked out across the valley at the lights and made a comment about how beautiful they were. She asked me, "You don't really think that city lights are very pretty, do you?" I told her no, not really. We talked about it for a couple minutes, and then moved on to something else. I thought a little bit about Marquette's opinion, and how it really differed from my own. I really hate seeing all those lights. I don't like living with a million other people, I don't like the traffic, and i don't like the noise. I really dislike how all those lights completely block out the stars and the moon, and I don't like all the activity that goes on at all hours of the night. 

I think that a landscape lit up by moonlight, devoid of any thing except the fluttering shadow of an owl or a bat is wonderful. Its peaceful, still and quiet, but not silent and motionless. The chirping of the crickets help to digest thoughts about the day. This is what I think is beautiful, and although I can't see for miles across the valley, like I can when all of Tucson is lit up, there is the definite feeling that I am standing in a place that is way bigger than me and my thoughts.


1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with both of you. I do enjoy driving into town and seeing all the town lights, but I love going home to the stars and silence. :) I am glad you are posting, I enjoy getting on and seeing both of your blogs.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete