Saturday, January 9, 2010

Joining the Blogging World

My mother just set up her own blog over Christmas, and my wife, brother, sister in law, and most of my friends all have blogs, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon. I have always been more of a tactile sort of guy, I prefer the idea of writing my thoughts down on a real piece of paper. There is something very personal about the physical act of writing that society has lost. The act of writing, the feel of the ink as it flows onto the paper, the subtle movements of the wrist as one crafts a communication between themselves and others, is fast becoming lost to us. Using something as impersonal as a computer to write the most personal of communication: a journal, ones diary; it is an offense to the art of writing. But, so few of the great writers of our history have been able to touch us, and in this information age, we can read of experiences and note profound statements from people who would otherwise be forgotten, through their web logs. So, after reading my moms beginning blogger book, I decided to give it a shot. I would never presume to think that the meandering river of my thoughts will ever amount to anything as deep as those of our great writers, but I feel that being able to place our own mark, to leave behind our own tracks to be seen, is an opportunity that should not be wasted. This being said, I may still decide I like paper better, and decide to leave. But for now, I am excited to start this blog.

1 comment: